DR. LANDIS M. STETLER ESE LEADERSHIP SCHOLARSHIPS
Click Here to View/Print the PDF version of this document
The Florida Council of Administrators of Special Education (FLCASE), a subdivision of The Council of Administrators of Special Education (CASE), a Division of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) has established a scholarship program to award a financial scholarship in the name of Dr. Landis M. Stetler, a pioneer and great leader in exceptional student education (ESE) in the state of Florida and the nation. The scholarship is presented at the annual Florida Council for Exceptional Children (FCEC) Conference.
- The Florida CASE Board will determine annually: the number and amount of scholarships to be awarded; if graduate and/or undergraduate students are eligible; due date to receive applications; and determining if recipients may reapply in subsequent years while completing their degree program to renew the scholarship.
- Criteria: The successful applicant must meet all of the following criteria, as determined by the selection committee:
- Be a Florida resident and currently enrolled in an under-graduate or graduate program leading to certification in ESE and/ or major in exceptional student education. (A focus on administration of exceptional student education will be given special consideration.)
- Sign an affidavit that the applicant intends to teach or work in a district position in ESE in the state of Florida.
- Provide two letters of recommendation, one of which is from the university or college major professor.
- Complete the application form online. A major part of the application is the narrative providing the rationale for why the applicant is seeking the scholarship.
- Be a current CEC member in good standing.
- Procedures for application: Applications are coordinated by Florida CASE. Application packets and announcements are posted on the Florida CASE website. Announcements of the application will also be included in FLCASE publications, distributed to appropriate district and university/college personnel, and noted in FL Department of Education information sharing, and other appropriate sources; Instructions on completing the application, timelines, and where to send the application will be contained in the application packet.
- Procedures for review/selection: A Scholarship Selection Committee will be established by Florida CASE with at least three CASE members representing the district administrators in the state. Applications will be reviewed and scored by the committee either in person, via mail, or electronically, and Scholarship Selection Committee Chair will provide the results to the FL CASE President.
- Procedures for notification: The FLCASE President or designee will notify all applicants of the results of the review process. Names of the recipient(s) will be shared with the FCEC President and FCEC Awards Chair.
- Coordination of the presentation: The scholarship presentation will be done at the AMM Annual Conference in St. Petersburg, FL. The FLCASE President or designee will ensure that all appropriate arrangements are made and communicated to the recipient(s).
- Amount of award: The amount of the award is determined by Florida CASE. Adjustments in the number and amounts of the scholarship can be adjusted at the discretion of the FLCASE Board on an annual basis.
- Recognition: A plaque is maintained in the Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services (BEESS) at the Florida Department of Education in Tallahassee, and the name of the recipient(s) should be added each year by the FLCASE President or designee.